Monday, January 31, 2005

I've Gotta Secret

So, here's an interesting link related to this concept of the frontstage/backstage self: PostSecret.

Apparently it's a art experiment in which people are invited to anonymously write a secret on a 4x6 index card and mail it in. These cards with your secrets are put on display in public for the artistic connoisseurs of wherever this exhibit is on display to see. The idea is to see what people will write when they know their identity remains hidden. What secret would you tell about yourself if you were given the chance to have it known anonymously?

I can think of one.

But I'm obviously not going to put it on here, since this blog is part of my constructed identity, right? Anything that I don't want people out there (like you) to know, I don't have to say it, right? Exactly. So, that sort of leads you to question what, if anything, you really can know about a person if you know their name. It's kind of hard to take anything for granted in virtual place like the internet.

The only notecards I've got are 3x5. I think I'm going to spring for a pack of 4x6 and make my contribution as a patron of the arts.

On a completely unrelated note, I am updating from the CMA Lab. I'm suffering from Apple envy.

Do a google search for the phrase "Apple envy" and it gets 375 hits. That makes this blog number 376. Funny, I would have expected either a lot less or a lot more.

Why am putting all of this into the blog? I dunno. Its monday and its cold and my mind is sort of on autopilot.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

PostSecret is awesome! Thanks for posting this.

* * * << Home